Deodorant is something that we apply to our skin everyday without even thinking about it – it’s like brushing your teeth. But, have you ever considered a natural deodorant detox from your aluminium-based antiperspirant?
We know that the process of switching to a natural deodorant can leave you feeling a bit, well, smelly. But, the truth is you just have to give it some time for your body to adjust. Interested? Keep scrolling to find out more about what a natural deodorant detox is, what you can expect and how our Clay Away Body Cleanser could help support your underarms on your journey to happy, healthy pits.
All it takes is a little patience…
What’s The Difference Between Deodorant And Antiperspirant?
First thing’s first, let’s explain the difference between deodorant and antiperspirant.
- Deodorants: These are created to get rid of/mask armpit odour, but not perspiration (sweat). They’re usually alcohol-based and when applied they create an acidic environment on your skin which is less attractive to bacteria.
- Antiperspirants: These contain aluminium-based active ingredients that temporarily plugs pores, stops sweating and keeps you dry. Blocking your sweat pores will ultimately reduce the amount of perspiration on your skin.
According to scientific studies, there are concerns that if the skin absorbs these aluminium compounds, they can potentially affect the oestrogen receptors of breast cells that could lead to breast cancer or even Alzheimer’s disease. However, there is little evidence to prove this so more research is needed.
What Is A Natural Deodorant Detox?
A natural deodorant detox or an armpit detox is the process of ‘detoxifying’ your armpits from the generic sweat-preventing aluminium antiperspirants that your body has become used to.
Why You Smell During Your Armpit Detox
As humans, we are meant to sweat, it’s completely natural and is your body’s way of regulating temperature and detoxifying. So, why would you want to prevent this from working properly?
Sweat itself doesn’t actually smell, it is the bacteria that grows on sweat that causes this odour – sounds gross right? Therefore, when you remove aluminium your body will release what has been blocked which causes this brief time period of body odour. So, when making the switch to natural deodorant don’t be surprised when your body will goes into overdrive as it will want to release waste and sweat out the aluminium, making you a bit stinky (sorry).
The truth is, it’s not that your natural deodorant isn’t working, your body is working harder. Isn’t that cool?
How Long Does A Natural Deodorant Detox Take?
So, what should you expect during your armpit detox? Well, it can take up to 30-days for your body to learn to sweat naturally and regulate itself again – although this time period is different for everyone.
Unfortunately, you should expect your armpits to smell a little pungent and icky for the first couple of weeks as this is when your sweat glands are purging and getting rid of all of the built-up bacteria and chemicals that have been trapped whilst you’ve been using antiperspirants. The first 2-weeks is the stage when most people give up their natural deodorant detox because they smell the most funky.
But don’t give up! By the third week, your pits probably won’t smell as bad but you might notice that you’re sweating a little more as your body is working harder to get rid of the last of the bacteria and chemicals. If you’re noticing random patterns during the final 2-weeks of your detox such as not smelling for a whole week and then smelling a little funky for one day, this is completely normal and it is just your body’s way of regulating itself.
Just know that it won’t be like this forever and by the 4th week of your of your armpit detox you will start to feel normal again. In fact, you’ll soon notice that you’ll have no odour at all!
How To Make Your Armpit Detox A Little Less…Funky?
Thankfully, there are some things that you can do to make your natural deodorant detox journey a little less intimidating.
- Taking Hot Baths: Having a lot, hot soak in the tub can speed-up the purging phase and will open your pores, encouraging your body to sweat.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes: During your natural deodorant detox, avoid wearing tight, synthetic clothing as this can trap moisture in your pits and feel uncomfortable. Instead, wear cotton or bamboo clothing with loose sleeves to allow your pits to breathe.
- Diet: That’s right, your diet, exercise routine and even stress levels can affect your 30-day armpit detox. Eating foods high in sulphur, red meat and processed foods can make you smell more stinky. Make sure to drink lots of water and consider increasing your workouts which can accelerate your natural deodorant detox.
Products such as clay-based masks can help remove the build-up of antiperspirant and help unplug the pores, draw out impurities in your armpits and hydrate and soothe any irritated skin, making the adjustment a lot easier.
Our Clay Away Body Cleanser is a clever 2-in-1 purifying daily body wash that also doubles as a full body mask. Supercharged with plant-based actives including Green Clay, Matcha Tea Extract, Black Willow Bark Extract and an invigorating fragrance of Eucalyptus essential oil.
As part of your natural deodorant detox, use the mask 1-2 times per week and apply to your armpits. Leave on for a few minutes, indulge in the reviving fragrance and then rinse off in the shower. Your pits will be left feeling refreshed, purified and deeply cleansed.
Remember: even after the 30 days have ended, you might still be a little sweaty after making the switch as the only thing that can prevent this is aluminium. But, at least you won’t smell and you’ll be free to enjoy all of the wonderful benefits of natural deodorant.