If you take a quick scan at any of our products you’ll see that at Mama Mio, we’re BIG on our ingredients lists. The last thing we want is to bore you with a chemistry lesson of unpronounceable ingredient names, but we are passionate about every single ingredient we put into our products, and equally about the ones we choose to keep out! It’s our no nasties promise which lets you know our products are some of the cleanest, most effective products on the market.
Why do we have a No Nasties policy?
If you care about what you put IN your body you should also care about what you put ON it. It’s as simple as that. It’s second nature to scan the ingredients label when we’re in the supermarket buying groceries but why doesn’t the same rule apply when we’re looking for skincare products to slather on our bodies? Your skin is your largest organ and responsible for 30% of your body’s detoxification process, so give it the royal treatment it deserves with skincare products which actively care for the skin and protect it from potentially dangerous ingredients…and everything else life throws at it!
What you need to know about the no nasties.
It’s often left up to us (the consumers) to do the detective work about the ingredients going into our beauty products, which isn’t always easy if you don’t know what to look for. Let’s take a quick look at some of the key offenders on our no nasties list and why we want to avoid them:
- Parabens. Parabens are widely used preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria in cosmetic products. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin and possess oestrogen-mimicking properties that are associated with increased risk of breast cancer.
- What we use instead: Spectrastat G2 is a complete system for preservative-free skincare and contains no nasty preservatives.
- Sodium Laurel Sulphate or SLS. SLS is found in so many household products and is a harsh chemical lathering agent used to create a good lather and foam and tricks us into thinking we’re clean. In reality, we’re not cleaner, we’ve just been stripped.
- What we use instead: Coconut derived cleaners in all our face washes are gentle but hugely effective (link to face washes page)
- Mineral Oil. Mineral oil is a petrochemical, a derivative of crude oil. It has large molecules which are unable to penetrate the surface of the skin and masks it which stops it from breathing properly.
- What we use instead: The only oils you will find in Mama Mio are plant sourced oils such as Coconut, Avocado and Argan.
Do you follow us on social? Keep up to date with all the Mama Mio goss (and maybe a few cute pictures of babies) @MamaMioSkincare on Instagram and Twitter. While your online, why not like us on Facebook too!