What’s better than a cosy, autumnal afternoon wrapped up on the sofa as your kitchen fills with the aroma of homemade soup? Hmm, not much we’d imagine. So we’ve whipped up a quick recipe to take you through these chillier months with a healthy and hearty vegetable and lentil winter soup.
Makes 4 portions.
250g dried red lentils
250g grated carrots
3 sticks of celery
4 garlic cloves
1 stock cube
Salt and pepper to taste
Chilli flakes (optional)
How to make lentil soup
- Grate the carrots and dice the onions, garlic, celery and leeks.
- In a large soup pan, heat a large slug of oil on a medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and garlic on a low heat, you want to do this a slow as possible until the onions and garlic are translucent and soft.
- Add in the celery, carrots and leeks, sauté until soft.
- Add in the lentils.
- Add the water into the pan, enough to cover the sautéed ingredients.
- Add in the stock cube and then season to your preference. If you like a little kick, add a few chilli flakes for some extra warmth.
- Simmer on a low heat until the lentils are soft. If you have time, keep the on the heat for up to an hour and a half, adding more liquid if necessary. The longer you leave the soup, the more flavourful it will be.
- Store in a sealable container in the fridge, this will keep up to five days.
Finally, enjoy! This soup would be a great starter, a toasty mid-week dinner served with crusty bread or a warming lunch to take to the office.